What you need to know
Pineapple cakes are incredibly tasty but also incredibly difficult to make at home. This dead simple recipe for pineapple bars has an American twist on a Taiwanese traditional snack.
By Angel Yang
Ingredients for the dough
- 2.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter, melted
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 20 oz can (drained) crushed pineapple
Equipment and other things
- 13" x 9" pan
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Putting together the dough
1. Mix dough ingredients until combined.
2. Line a 13x9 pan with foil or parchment paper. Putting some butter underneath will help keep it in place.
3. Press the dough into the pan. A smooth glass can help roll it out.
4. The more civilized types can use a rolling pin.
5. In any case, the dough will eventually resemble something along these lines. Be sure to push up against the sides of the pan to create more yummy crust bits.
6. Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Putting together the filling
1. While the dough is baking begin work on the filling. Pre-measuring and setting up ahead of time is a good idea.
2. Beat the four eggs together.
3. Add the sugar.
4. Mix in the pineapple.
5. Add the flour.
6. Put the baking powder on top of the flour to avoid an instant reaction with the liquid mass.
7. Aftermath of the mixing session.
Their powers combined
1. The dough after its baking session.
2. Pour the filling into the pan and spread it around evenly.
3. Back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Check doneness with a toothpick or similar pointy tool. The bars are ready when it comes out clean. Take the bars out of the pan and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
5. Suggested serving style.
All in all, a straightforward and simple recipe that will tide you over until we publish a true pineapple cake guide. Enjoy!
This article was originally published on taiwaneseculture.org as "Pineapple Bars."
Editor: Olivia Yang