What you need to know
A specialty hailing from Tainan, southern Taiwan, this dish is best served hot.
By Linda Lin
Ingredients for the taro cake
- 2 pounds shredded taro
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon potato flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Ingredients for the meat sauce
- Minced pork meat
- Dried shrimp
- Fried shallots
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
Equipment and other things
- Grater/shredder with large holes or food processor with shredding disc
0. The prep area prior to cooking.
1. Shred taro to pieces — careful with those fingers!
2. Add dry ingredients to taro and mix until it feels like it's sticking together.
3. Line a bowl with parchment paper, pour in taro mixture, and lightly compress.
4. Top with meat mixture, carrots and fried shallots.
5. Steam for approximately 30 minutes. Make sure to bring the water to a boil before inserting the bowl.
6. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
This article was originally published on taiwaneseculture.org as "Shredded Taro Cake."
Editor: Olivia Yang