Latest Update: Explosions Strike Brussels, Claiming More Than 30 Lives So Far

Latest Update: Explosions Strike Brussels, Claiming More Than 30 Lives So Far
Photo Credit:RT/ 達志影像
Why you need to know

Three explosions struck the Brussels airport and metro system on March 22, killing at least 34 people and leaving more than 200 people injured so far. Extremist militant group Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the bombings. Due to the attacks, the airport will remain closed indefinitely and the metro will be running a reduced service.

Listen
powered by Cyberon

Compiled by Bing-sheng Lee

A series of explosions struck Brussels, Belgium, on the morning of March 22 (local time). So far, the total number of deaths has reached 34 and more than 200 people have been injured.

The first two bombings occurred at the Brussels airport in the northeast side of the city, claiming 11 lives and leaving at least 92 injured.

The third attack was set off at Maelbeek metro station on the Rue de la Loi, which is a principal road close to the European Union headquarters. At least 20 people were killed and about 130 got hurt in this explosion.

Extremist militant group Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the bombings. Amaq News Agency, an Islamic State propaganda outfit, said ISIS fighters carried out “a series of bombings with explosive belts and devices.” The agency also claimed the attackers opened fire at the airport and that “several of them” detonated suicide belts in the planned actions.

Brussels police later conducted a raid in Schaarbeek, a northern suburb of Brussels, and discovered an explosive device containing nails, chemicals and an ISIS flag.

The Belgium government has already asked ministers of European Union (EU) countries to meet and discuss the suicide bombings. Ard van der Steur, minister of Security and Justice of the Netherlands, says that the meeting is likely to take place on the morning of March 24 and will be organized in the Netherlands, which currently holds the rotating European Union presidency.

After the explosions, the Brussels Airport was immediately shut down and the airport says it will remain closed on March 23. NBC news correspondent Tom Costello says the Brussels Airport might remain suspended for at least a week.

Passengers are told to contact their airlines for further instructions. Cargo flights are also not allowed to land at the airport. “Only empty flights from international carriers are admitted,” says the airport in a statement.

The metro system of the city has already restarted its operation, but will be running a reduced service. It says it will “prepare a network with extra security” on March 23.

Schools in Brussels are expected to open as usual following the city’s lockdown on March 22.

Edited by Olivia Yang

Sources:
“Brussels bombings: what we know so far” (The Guardian)
“Brussels attacks: police release new images of suspected airport bomber – live updates” (The Guardian)
“What we know about the terror attacks in Belgium” (CNN)
“Islamic State claims deadly bombings in Brussels” (AP)

Looking for More?
More『News』Articles More『News』Articles More『TNL 編輯』Articles
Loader